Blueprint For Success

Successful people design a written, timetabled, well-thought-out description of what they really want from life.

Studies have proven the value of having written goals. For instance, one Yale University study monitored Yale’s 1954 graduating class over a 20-year period. Only 3% of this promising group had written goals in 1954. By 1974, this 3% had achieved more success and personal wealth than the other 97% combined! This is eye-opening witness to the power of written, challenging goals.

What would you dare to dream about accomplishing in your life if you knew there was absolutely no chance of failure? What would you go after in life if you were fearless?

Examine your honest answers to these questions and ponder Teddy Roosevelt’s words: “The credit belongs to the man who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumphs of high achievement; and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither defeat nor victory.” Now move forward and begin your blueprint for achievement by writing your own master plan.

Rule 1: Turn goals into beliefs and state them in positive terms. Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want.

Rule 2: Use specific sensory terms: How does the goal belief look, feel, sound, and smell? Paint your success picture, fire it with emotion, enthusiasm, and put yourself in it.

Rule 3: Set celebration dates, timelines, and lifelines, not “deadlines.” When constructing a timeline, do the “backstep.” Break the goal down into manageable parts all the way down to what you can do daily to further your efforts toward the goal.

Rule 4: Take responsibility for your master plan by taking control.

Rule 5: Do your beliefs reflect good character, ethics, and integrity? “Ask not what others can do for you, ask what you can do for yourself, others, and your community.” Don’t depend on anyone but yourself!

Having a plan increases the odds that you’ll eventually succeed at whatever you dare to dream. So, write your dreams into a specific game plan, follow the above rules, and turn your dreams into reality! Remember, you can never fail unless you quit! Do it now!